Hi, Iljitsch,

> There is currently no writeup of how to use the flow label for ECMP.
> And as far as I can tell there are no implementations of this either.
> Which is a real shame.

There are a few proposals on how to set it (e.g., Blake's and mine). --
This could be a good way to start.

> - we shouldn't lock down the flow label such that only one flow label
> per flow is allowed because this would impede future innovation

The only problem with this is that if you allow a given flow to use
multiple flows, the flow-label reuse frequency might increase, and
collisions might occur. -- then you violate the requirement on
uniqueness fo each pair (src addr, dst addr).

> - zero flow labels are still created by many systems, but these would
> hamper a flow label based ECMP. Rewriting zero flow labels into a
> real flow label somewhere in the network would therefore be a useful
> function

Some of these boxes set the flow label inconsistently. See the paper
published by Malone et al (referenced in Blakes flow-label I-D, and
probably in mine, too).

If you want consistency, you might have to rewrite both, unfortunately.

Thanks!
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna...@gont.com.ar || fg...@acm.org