Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> writes:

> > what's the threat if it changes in flight? multiple times even?

> That presumably depends on the use case. The idea is that someone
> figures out what flow label values will screw you, and sets such
> values.

And exactly how is this is different that what we have today, where
the same can be done by setting  values for the src/dest addresses and
ports?

> Let's assume you're using it for ECMP or LAG. You're hashing
> the flow label as part of the ECMP/LAG hash. Someone figures out
> how to compute a flow label for each packet arriving on your 10GB
> line that will bias your hash, and therefore defeat the load
> sharing.

And is easier (and thus more of a threat) than, say, any variety DDOS
attack that targets a particular bottleneck link?

> Note, I'm not saying it will happen, just that it might, and that
> seems to be how some security people think.

Let's discuss the threat (if there is one), but let's put it in
context. How much worse a threat (or more exploitable of one) is this
than other existing ones?

Thomas