On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 13:18:41 +1200, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The authors of draft-carpenter-6man-flow-update (now also
> including Shane Amante) are working on a new version. One
> fundamental issue that has come up is about the (lack of)
> security properties of the flow label. The most brutal
> expression of this is:
>
> The flow label field is always unprotected (no IP header
> checksum, not included in transport checksums, not included in
> IPsec checksum). It cannot be verified and can be used as a
> covert channel, so it will never pass a security analysis. Thus
> some firewalls *will* decide to clear it, whatever the IETF
> wants. This is inevitable, for exactly the same reason that the
> diffserv code point is rewriteable at domain boundaries.
>
> If this is correct, it is futile to assert that the flow label
> MUST be delivered unchanged to the destination, because we
> cannot rely on this in the real world.
>
> Are we ready to accept this analysis?

FWIW, covering the FL in a header/transport checksum would not guarantee
immutability, since a firewall could always re-calculate either of these.

There are already a variety of covert channels available (e.g., packet
size, packet timing, DSCP, hop count), so I wouldn't lose sleep about the
FL adding an additional one.

Regards,

// Steve