Le 21/09/2010 00:49, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
On 2010-09-20 17:31, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Thanks for that. Now, what is needed for those techniques to be
fully deployable for IPv6, except work by the vendor(s)? Is
there any work needed on the basic IPv6 standards?

Well, I think what would help is to be able to run a DHCPv6 only
environment without RA/RS, it would also help if one didn't need
NS either. The whole L2 environment would need a lot less code, it
basically would only need to be able to filter the above
mechanisms, not inspect them.

I think the technical issue there is that ND and RA were designed as
a package, and you certainly can't run without ND.

[Historical note: the ND/RA design was done at a time when all we had
deployed was ARP, because DHCP was not yet mature, and most of us
were still configuring IPv4 hosts manually. ND/RA seemed like an
enormous leap forward.]

I wanted to add there still exist large PC-LAN-enterprise deployments
where the IPv4 address _is_ configured manually - no DHCP.  The
reticence facing DHCP has to do with many things, among which security
and pure human interaction.

I am not sure what IPv6 will bring into these deployments - probably
SLAAC, probably DHCPv6.  I think both should work equally -
independently or together as complete solutions for autoconfiguration.

Alex

But as Fred also mentioned, SAVI WG is working in specifically
this area <https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/savi/charter/>

Sure. Are you holding your breath?

Well, duplicating work is probably a bad idea. They have running
code, I don't see why people who want to fix this shouldn't join
them in their effort. Am I missing something?

I'm just wondering how many years it will be before SAVI is an
off-the-shelf multivendor solution.

Brian