On 2010-09-10 17:13, Fred Baker wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2010, at 6:44 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>>> SLAAC is fine for home networks (and some enterprise networks).
>> That's exactly what (IMHO) we need to preserve, which has the side effect
>> that it's going to be the default mechanism for IPv6 nodes shipped out into
>> the SOHO market. I expect DHCPv6 to be the default for nodes shipped into
>> the ISP and large enterprise market.
>
> That would actually materially surprise me, as the same systems are delivered
> to both markets. What I observe is that Windows 7, Macintosh, and *nix all
> default to some variant of SLAAC, and some of them have the ability to be
> configured for DHCPv6.

That's fair comment, but observe that (e.g.) Windows seems to come in different
editions aimed at home, small office and enterprise environments, and that those
editions tend to have different defaults. And certainly in enterprises, the
defaults
may be changed yet again in the o/s image distributed to users.

   Brian