In message <b0147c3dd45e42478038fc347ccb65fe02a7643...@xch-mw-08v.mw.nos.boeing
.com>, "Manfredi, Albert E" writes:
> > On Mar 3, 2011, at 2:10 PM, TJ wrote:
>
> >> Really?  None of the ISPs I have spoken with, and certainly none of
> >> the ones I have worked with, are following a /64 per client plan.  I
> >> have discussed /48s vs /56s vs /60s ... but never a /64.
>
> James Woodyatt wrote:
>
> > Here is a Reddit commenter from Canada who claims to have been
> > delegated a native /64 prefix by some unnamed service provider:
> >
> > <http://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/fvvh9/i_am_a_verizon_fios_custom
> > erwhen_can_i_get_on_ipv6/c1j10sy>
> >
> > Not sure how credible that claim can be regarded, but it's a claim that
> > can be checked.
>
> I've certainly seen ISPs suggesting that they would do this. But a quick sear
> ch turned up this, dated 2/8/2011:
>
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-512#end_site
>
>    5.4.1. Assignment address space size
>
>    End Users are assigned an End Site assignment from their LIR or
>    ISP. The size of the assignment is a local decision for the LIR
>    or ISP to make, using a minimum value of a /64 (only one subnet
>    is anticipated for the End Site).
>
> So, is anyone willing to bet that ISPs won't use /64s?

And it use /56 for the HD-Ratio.

5.2.1. Subsequent allocation criteria

Subsequent allocation will be provided when an organisation (i.e.
ISP/LIR) satisfies the evaluation threshold of past address utilisation
in terms of the number of sites in units of /56 assignments. The
HD-Ratio [RFC 3194] is used to determine the utilisation thresholds
that justify the allocation of additional address as described
below.

The customer just needs to say "you are allocated space assuming
that you will be handing out up to /56's, please give me a /56".

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org