Hi Alexandru,

On 31.03.2011 12:08, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer, I am discovering OBD.  We are also interested in
> wireless usage of IP within the vehicle, with off-the-shelf links (i.e.
> consumer electronics market wifi, bluetooth, ant) together with OBD if
> needed.

See below.

>> Today EOBDv1 can diagnose (quasi online) 849 failures. One of most
>> important advantage of EOBDv2 (but not only it) will be constant,
>> real time communication with service. The best way of them will be
>> indyvidual number for every car vehicles in the world.
>
> Excellent requirement to IP.

Maybe to some mapping system, but not directly to IPv6
(ID/Loc split).

>> This number ought to cooporate with global networking - TCP/IP
>> (IPv6). All cars have indyvidual number - VIN (17 characters which
>> indicates on a country of production and mark of the car: digits and
>>  letters A-X). Maybe there is time when someone must think about
>> conversion VIN to IPv6
>
> Hmm... sounds as good idea.  But there may be several IP addresses
> within a vehicle, one for the obu, one for map device, etc.

> In case one would like to map VIN to an IPv6 address one would consider
> first an Interface Identifier of the IPv6 address. (rightmost 64 bits).
> Interface Identifier is about an Interface, and I am not sure VIN is
> about an interface, or is it. (like Interface is the Ethernet interface
> of this pc).

Yes, but from a security point of view, it would be a nightmare
if some hacker could directly send IP packets to the ECU controlling
your airbag or other safety relevant ECUs etc. So a strong
security architecture is a MUST. I'm not sure that there is a need
to _directly_ address any internal car devices. A security gateway
as policy enforcement point seems to be required at least.

Regards,
 Roland