Le 31/03/2011 12:26, Roland Bless a écrit :
Hi Alexandru,

On 31.03.2011 12:08, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
Thanks for the pointer, I am discovering OBD.  We are also
interested in wireless usage of IP within the vehicle, with
off-the-shelf links (i.e. consumer electronics market wifi,
bluetooth, ant) together with OBD if needed.

See below.

Today EOBDv1 can diagnose (quasi online) 849 failures. One of
most important advantage of EOBDv2 (but not only it) will be
constant, real time communication with service. The best way of
them will be indyvidual number for every car vehicles in the
world.

Excellent requirement to IP.

Maybe to some mapping system, but not directly to IPv6 (ID/Loc
split).

I quickly get confused on id/loc split discussions.  I meant to say that
it is wonderful to request Internet to let a vehicle connect to it
anywhere in the world and, moreover, solution should not be exclusively satellite.

This number ought to cooporate with global networking - TCP/IP
(IPv6). All cars have indyvidual number - VIN (17 characters
which indicates on a country of production and mark of the car:
digits and letters A-X). Maybe there is time when someone must
think about conversion VIN to IPv6

Hmm... sounds as good idea.  But there may be several IP addresses
within a vehicle, one for the obu, one for map device, etc.

In case one would like to map VIN to an IPv6 address one would
consider first an Interface Identifier of the IPv6 address.
(rightmost 64 bits). Interface Identifier is about an Interface,
and I am not sure VIN is about an interface, or is it. (like
Interface is the Ethernet interface of this pc).

Yes, but from a security point of view, it would be a nightmare if
some hacker could directly send IP packets to the ECU controlling
your airbag or other safety relevant ECUs etc. So a strong security
architecture is a MUST.

I agree, appropriate security is useful.  What's ECU? (other than the
currency).

I'm not sure that there is a need to _directly_ address any internal
car devices. A security gateway as policy enforcement point seems to
be required at least.

For entertainment, passengers may like to youtube without policy
enforcement, i.e. all laptops in the vehicle be each IP-addressable.

In other cases, only the OBU would be IP-addressable and it would be
connect on its ingress interface to rs232/can devices (but it would
still need a 2nd IP address on that interface).

Alex

Regards, Roland