Dan,

>> On the other hand, the difference between 1500 and 1280 is so small, I
>> wonder if breaking things just because you want to send packets
>> at 1500 bytes makes a lot of sense.
>>
>> One other thing, if this makes the IPv6 experience worse than industry
>> standard for IPv4, then maybe it is also not a good idea.
>
> The IPv6 headers are 20 bytes bigger than IPv4 headers, so a fairer
> comparison is 1500 against 1260 (1260=1280-20).  That is, with a 1500
> byte MTU with IPv4, the effective data payload is 1480 bytes (assuming
> no IP options, which is a reasonable assumption with IPv4); with a
> 1280 byte MTU with IPv6, the effective data payload is 1240 bytes
> (assuming no IPv6 extensions).  That's a 16.2% reduction in data
> payload size from IPv4 to IPv6, with a commensurate increase in
> number of packets to send the same data (assuming MTU-sized packets).

I am a little confused by the comparisons being made in this thread.

There is no guarantee that an 1500 IPv4 packet won't be fragmented, so a path
that drops ICMPv4 packet too big messages will cause PMTU to fail.  The 1280
number is the size of an MTU that IPv6 traffic can go on with out a need to be
fragmented (that is, no PMTU issue).

If a path can deliver 1500 byte IPv4 packets, it can also deliver 1500 byte
IPv6 packets.  The resulting payloads will be 20 byte less for IPv6, but that
less than a 2% difference in payload size.

I doubt middle boxes are going to let ICMPv4 packet too big messages through,
and drop ICMPv6 packet too big messages.

Am I missing something here?

Bob