Yes.  Over the years, the IETF's own website has suffered two outages
(and perhaps three) that were attributed to IPv6 PMTUD failures.  To
my knowledge, it has suffered no outages attributed to IPv4 PMTUD
failures.

Google runs its IPv6-facing properties using a 1280 byte MTU, likely
to avoid adding IPv6 PMTUD failures to the reasons that IPv6 might
provide a worse user experience than IPv4.  Afterall, there is no
need to try to resolve all problems at once while we're getting IPv6
off the ground.

So, while I agree that 1500 should work equally well for both
IPv4 and IPv6, it seems that for whatever combination of reasons,
it works less well on IPv6 than IPv4.  This is perhaps user error
(configuration mistakes on firewalls or ACLs), more common use
of IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnels than IPv4-over-IPv4 tunnels, bugs
in vendor equipment, or something else.

-d