From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Brian E
Carpenter
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: Flow label drafts updated

> and also the apparent decision to write these documents in a manner
> intended to legislate reasonable security measures (if applicable only
> in selected deployments) out of existence.

I don't understand this comment. The flow label has always been defined as
immutable; the consensus in the WG is to keep that
property. So a firewall that overwrites it is unambiguously breaking the
standard.

[WEG] now it's my turn to be confused by your comment, Brian. I missed this
detail of interpretation when reviewing the draft for
LC, and I apologize, but I think it's pretty important...
>From the 3697bis draft:
"There is no way to verify whether a flow label has been modified en
   route or whether it belongs to a uniform distribution.  Therefore, no
   Internet-wide mechanism can depend mathematically on immutable and
   uniformly distributed flow labels; they have a "best effort" quality."
 But it goes on to say:
" This specification defines the flow label as immutable once it has
   been set to a non-zero value.  However, implementers are advised that
   forwarding nodes, especially those acting as domain border devices,
   might nevertheless be configured to change the flow label value in
   packets.  This is undetectable."
My interpretation of the above is that it functionally renders the flow label
mutable. If one cannot assume that the flow label will
arrive at its destination with the original value intact, nor detect when it
has been changed, it is by definition mutable and it's
nonsensical to have this discussed in such an ambiguous way in the draft,
because no implementer in their right mind is going to try
to use this for an application that needs the label to be immutable in all
cases. This draft should be correcting the fundamentally
flawed assumption that an unprotected field can be immutable. I don't see how
Ran's comments would be a different case and
(apparently) a different interpretation of the above.

I don't recall consensus forming around this idea of immutable, but with
asterisks instead of simply acknowledging that regardless
of what the standard said before, the label has always been mutable since it's
unprotected. However, I've had a couple of gaps where
$day_job has taken precedence over IETF lists, so I might have missed a part of
that discussion. Apologies if I'm rehashing. Perhaps
the chairs would like to offer an interpretation?

Wes George