-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:nar...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: Flow label drafts updated

Is the UDP port number mutable? Is the TCP sequence number immutable?
[WEG] I think both are immutable because there's a checksum to detect changes.
That doesn't make it impossible to change it in the
middle, as you mention, but it makes it much less likely that it will be.

There are ways of modifying them that are undetecable. Does that make them
mutable?
[WEG] Would you write similar language into the TCP and UDP spec like this that
claims immutable but that implementers should assume
that it'll be changed along the way? By my interpretation, it comes down to
level of risk for modification. IMO the checksum is a
significant difference and means that there is a reasonable assumption that
things won't be changed along the way. At the very least
it'll detect changes due to data corruption, which you can't say for the IPv6
header.

The intention is that the Flow Label not get modified. Doing so can impact its
usefulness. This is true of most fields in packets.
If random actors start tweaking various fields in a packet, that tends to not
be helpful (or worse).
[WEG] Absolutely agree, but I don't think that calling it immutable is the only
way to say it, especially if you bracket it with a
qualifier that says it's likely to get changed anyway.

I do think the document needs to say something about covert channels and border
routers zeroing out the field (and not just stick
its head in the sand and try to have it both ways, which the wording Wes quoted
effectively does).
But that doesn't mean we are declaring that the field is "mutable", implying
that anyone can start doing with it what they want.
[WEG] fair enough, but I think this is sort of like the line between MUST NOT
and SHOULD NOT.
What you're saying here is you SHOULD NOT change the value, while acknowledging
that it's likely to happen in certain applications.
To me, Immutable implies MUST NOT be changed, and while people may still ignore
MUSTs it's less likely.
To me, "anyone can start doing what they want" implies a MAY be changed

Wes George