In your letter dated Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:08:43 -0400 you wrote:
>More importantly, the implementation approach I described on the IPv6
>list is neither complicated nor computationally expensive.  In fact,
>supporting the limited set of non-silly-for-ND-packet Extension Headers
>has tiny incremental memory footprint and tiny increase in the
>instruction count.  The instruction count increase only applies if
>an actual Extension Header is encountered, btw.  The code for a L2
>device to locate the IPv6 header, read that header, and read into
>the ICMP message to determine that a packet is an ND packet *dwarfs*
>the code to skip past the small set of reasonable Extension Headers
>for ND packets.

I have to admit I don't know much about the internals of L2 switches. But
my mental model of a 10 Gbit/s ethernet switch is that of an ASIC/FPGA that
does almost all forwarding with the CPU just for management.

I've no idea how expensive it would be to parse extension headers in an ASIC.

I think it is a bit ironic that if a L2 device has to parse all extension
headers, that then L2 switching of IPv6 packets will be more expensive that
L3 routing them.