On Aug 18, 2011, at 16:04 , Erik Nordmark wrote:

> How would such sleep proxies interact with SeND?

Theoretically, not very securely.  This problem, if you ask me, is one of the
major deficiencies in SEND.  It needs to be revised to support sleep proxies.
(It's not just network sleep proxies that have trouble with SEND.  So do host
sleep proxies.)

What I mean by "theoretically" is that, at present, I am unaware of neither any
sleep proxies that implement SEcure Neighbor Discovery [RFC 3971], nor any that
employ a security protocol of any kind between the sleeping host and the sleep
proxy to which it registers.  "Security is hard; let's go SHOPPING!"

In theory, assuming all hosts and their sleep proxies are using SEND (because
non-SEND nodes are not admitted to the network, or at least they aren't trusted
by any of the other nodes they find on the network), then sleep proxies will
need to possess the RSA private keys for all the CGAs that their client hosts
register with them, and when sleep proxies themselves go to sleep, they may
need to transfer those credentials to the next sleep proxy in turn.

I suppose one might imagine improving SEND with express support for sleep
proxies, but I'm guessing that the major users of SEND are people for whom the
choice to trade energy efficiency for network security doesn't usually require
very much thought.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, core os networking