Hi,

I was wondering...wouldn't the flow label be a "better" field for storing this random number?
If i remember correctly, early drafts of RPL were using it for loop detection (ok, in a very different way), although in the later ones a new option was chosen.
Sure, RFC 3697 is very strict on its specification, sure SEND already uses the Nonce option, but since we are talking about ND only (=before any real src/dst flow) i would be interested to know the rationale behind of this decision; choosing an extra option instead of a mandatory -useless until recently- field. Maybe then, all ND messages could be supported (less impact on memory?).

I may have missed some talks about this in the past (or maybe i'm talking nonsense ), so please forgive me if this is the case.

Also, i have some comments...
   When the IPv6 network interface issues a NS(DAD) message, the
   interface includes the Nonce Option in the NS(DAD) message and saves
   the nonce in local store.  Subsequently if the interface receives an
   identical NS(DAD) message, the interface logs a system management
   message, updates any statistics counter, and drops the looped back
   NS(DAD).  If the DupAddrDetectTransmits variable for the interface is
   greater than one, subsequent NS(DAD) messages for the same Target
   Address should be suppressed.  If the interface receives a NS(DAD)
   message with a different nonce, the interface logs a DAD-failed
   system management message, updates any statistics, and behaves
   identical to the behavior specified in [RFC4862] for DAD failure.
I know we are talking about DAD, but maybe it should be re-written as....
If the interface receives a NS(DAD)
   message with a different nonce but the same Target address, the interface logs a DAD-failed
   system management message, updates any statistics, and behaves
   identical to the behavior specified in [RFC4862] for DAD failure.

   Six bytes of random nonce is sufficiently large for nonce collisions.
   However if there is a collision because two nodes generated the same
   random nonce, then the algorithm will incorrectly detect a looped
   back NS(DAD) when the NS(DAD) was issued to signal a genuine
   duplicate.  Since each looped back NS(DAD) event is logged to system
   management, the administrator of the network will have to intervene
   manually.
The same applies here...

However, if there is a collision because two nodes (that are using the same Target address in their NS(DAD)) generated the same
   random nonce, then the algorithm will incorrectly detect a looped
   back NS(DAD), while the NS(DAD) was issued to signal a genuine
   duplicate.

3.3. Processing Rules for Receivers

The node has been configured to use the algorithm of this document. If an interface on the node receives any NS(DAD) message that matches the interface address (in tentative or optimistic state), the receiver compares the nonce in the message with the saved nonce. If a match is found, the node logs a system management message, updates any statistics counter, and drops the received message. If the received NS(DAD) message includes a nonce and no match is found with the saved nonce, the node logs a system management message for DAD- failed and updates any statistics counter.
Also, some recommended changes about the above paragraph.
   If the node has been configured to use the algorithm of this document and
   an interface on the node receives any NS(DAD) message that matches
   the interface address (in tentative or optimistic state), the
   receiver MUST compare the nonce in the message with the saved nonce. If
   a match is found, the node SHOULD log a system management message, SHOULD update
   any statistics counter, and MUST drop the received message.  If the
   received NS(DAD) message includes a nonce and no match is found with
   the saved nonce, the node SHOULD log a system management message for DAD-
   failed and SHOULD update any statistics counter.

Lastly, i have a question about your example with the provider in "2. Introduction".
Although i don't have the whole picture (the DAD proxying part confused me a little bit) and the term access concentrator isn't very clear to me (we use dsl, not cable), shouldn't there be a warning about duplicate mac or mac-flapping somewhere?
I mean, if i understand correctly the topology, the NS(DAD) message followed the path AC => MODEM1 => HUB => MODEM2 => AC without changing its src mac. Unless the modems are also acting as ND proxies.
Am i thinking something wrong?

Regards,
Tassos