Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> writes:

> On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:59 AM, "Ole Troan" <otr...@employees.org> wrote:
> > why not just merge all the information received?
> > e.g. if you get DNS server over DHCP and RA, use all.
> > if you get addresses via SLAAC and DHCP, you use all...

> Because "just merge" is essentially equivalent to "just walk across
> the river without your feet getting wet.".  If you can write a spec
> that does this correctly, you are probably the Messiah.

Isn't this what DHC already does? I.e., you run DHCP on two
interfaces, and get conflicting information.

The existing DHCP specs are silent on this, and the DHC WG has never
been willing to specify how to handle this case.

The case of getting conflicting DNS configuration information via DHC
seems a realistic scenario to me.

How do you propose this get handled?

Are you proposing we solve it for the DHC/RA case, but not for the
DHC/DHC case?

Thomas