Bjoern,

On 01/03/2012 09:22 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>> The idea of having the fragment offset to stay compatible the way things
>>> worked
>>> in IPv4 certainly was a great idea and has later proven to be a PITA.  What
>>> I'd
>>> really like to have is a silly fragment counter 1..n, so no overlapping
>>> possible
>>> (and not just not allowed on paper anymore as that does not remove that code
>>> to check from the stacks), simple handling of duplicate fragments, and no
>>> "atomic frags" allowed.
>>
>> That makes a bunch of IP fragmentation attacks (mostly DoS) trivial...
>> -- we should have learnt the leason from IPv4, shouldn't we?
>
> More than knowing all the fragment offsets upfront with the first packet
> for almost all implementations?  Seriously?  Who implements packet size
> randomizations for fragments to avoid that?

Sorry, it seems that the discussion got mixed up. Trying to clear up the
mess:

*I* am arguing in favor of:
a) Fragment ID randomization
b) Processing of atomic fragments as non-fragmented traffic.

Any arguments against that?

>>> Luckily the fragment header still has a lot of spare space that could allow
>>> to indicate which scheme is used and dropping a packet unless a bit is set
>>> (not being set indicating the old scheme) is really easy to implement, esp.
>>> after a transition period and ripping the old code out would be as well
>>> then;-)
>>> I 'd really not want to add even more complicated house keeping and stuff
>>> long term.
>>
>> You're already in a complicated position as a result of predictable I-Ds
>>
>> OpenBSD randomized them,
>
> Yeah and so do other BSDs derived from KAME...
> (
> http://www.kame.net/dev/cvsweb2.cgi/kame/kame/sys/netinet6/ip6_output.c#rev1.397
>  )

But this wasn't the case for Linux (they've now patched, though) or
OpenSolaris (partially).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont