Hi, Florian,

On 12/23/2011 07:46 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> That aside, I don't know whether e.g. NAT64 or the like used this
>> (.e.g, whether they are used for transition technologies as envisioned
>> in RFC 2460). However, it might also be the case that such "atomic
>> fragments" are generated when communicating through networks that do
>> not really have a MTU >= 1280. In such scenarios there might be some
>> for of gateway that sends the ICMPv6 PTB advertising a Next-Hop MTU
>> smaller than 1280, thus resulting in atomic fragments (such that it's
>> easier for the "gateway" to fragment the IPv6 packets).
>
> Yes, this seems a plausible explanation.  I wouldn't consider this
> actual use, rather network misconfiguration.

Why?

> In my opinion, we need
> more evidence that these fragments actually serve a useful purpose.
>
>> That aside, there's the proposal by Mark Andrews which would add yet
>> another use case for these atomic fragments.
>
> Not really.  It's a workaround so that stateless IPv6 services are
> possible, despite this protocol weiredness.

Not sure what you mean.

>> I may be missing something, but: when sending from the v6 side to the v4
>> side, we can probably assume that only the low order 16 bits of the
>> Fragment Identification field are used (whether you set the rest of the
>> bits or not, it doesn't matter -- particularly if the Fragment
>> Identification for each destination is a linear function (as e.g. in the
>> algorithm proposed in the I-D)). That is, you don't really need to do
>> anything special with the high order bits.
>
> Actually, atomic fragments aren't the problem, but the technology that
> serves as a justification for them.  If there are sub-1280 links which
> require network fragmentation and which fail to preserve the entire
> fragment ID, this happen to a packet which has already been fragmented
> by the sending host: One fragment is delivered over a regular IPv6 link
> and not fragmented further.  Another fragment is sent over a different
> link involving some v4 transition technology, causing further
> fragmentation and loss of the upper 16 bit of the fragment id.  The
> receiving node can reassemble the original packet only if it disregards
> the upper 16 bits in all those fragments.

Sorry, I cannot see why some packets would require going through a
translator, while others wouldn't. That is, if the intended destination
is really a v4 node, all packets meant to it will go through a
translator, If it's not, none will.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
--