I'd like to respond to one of your points. Your overall thrust (preservation of the existing architure) is reasonable, but it is really useful operationally for nodes to be able to recognize IPv6 multicast addresses that contain embedded IPv4 multicast addresses. If the path taken by the signalling and, in the reverse direction, the multicast data crosses multiple points of transition between IPv4 and IPv6 or the reverse, the translation at each such transition point can be done independently, with no need to coordinate between the different translating nodes. That holds even across domain boundaries. If a mapping table is used instead, the same table has to be provisioned at each translating node.