    Thomas> If an AD sponsored submission is the intend, then I do
    Thomas> honestly not know what the proper way of shaping the process
    Thomas> / forum for discussions / framing of the specification would
    Thomas> be, but I would hope that an AD could chirp in (as you say
    Thomas> INT, have you discussed this with Brian or Ralph, and could
    Thomas> you or either of them let us know?)

AD sponsored submission is more than enough process.
(it could go via independent submission easily too)

Unless I missed something, the only proceedural thing MLE needs is a UDP
port number, which is available via Expert Review.
Zigbee could publish MLE itself if it wanted to, but I understand that
it may have application beyond the links defined/used by Zigbee.

IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/