On 19/12/2012 14:44, Bless, Roland (TM) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19.12.2012 14:21, Rémi Després wrote:
>> Could we limit the 6man discussion to the question asked by Softwire,
>> i.e. whether new IID types can be defined, using u=g=1, with a first
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Sorry, I'm not yet aware of a concept called IID _types_?
> Do we really have such a thing "IID types"?

I think that's an important point. If we could make a statement like

"The IID consists of N bits that have no meaning; the only constraint
is that they must be unique within the scope of a given link and
routing prefix."

then perhaps we could move forward. Today, the u and g bits are the
only ones that make the previous statement untrue for N=64, I believe.

This would require formally updating RFC 4291, which says:
   For all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary
   value 000, Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long and to be
   constructed in Modified EUI-64 format.

s/required/recommended/ might be enough. Why is it "required" anyway?

      Brian