Hi Rémi,

On 19.12.2012 18:59, Rémi Després wrote:

> As is, the sentence misses that IIDs that have u=1 are expected to be
> universally unique. (This uniqueness is key to ensure that, as long

I don't agree. From an IPv6 functional point of view, IIDs only need to
be unique within the link-local/subnet scope, so _universal_ uniqueness
is not strictly _required_. Deriving the IID from a universally unique
address may help to minimize the conflict probability within a subnet
though.

> as a site has a stable IPv6 prefix, its statelessly auto-configured
> hosts can have stable addresses if so desired.)

You can also achieve the mentioned uniqueness of an IPv6 address by
having manually assigned locally unique IIDs (which is typically used
for servers since you don't want to change the IPv6 address each time
your network interface must be replaced due to hardware problems...)
combined with that stable (globally unique) IPv6 prefix.

> Ensuring IID universal uniqueness for new types of universal-scope
> addresses is the subject at hand.  It can fortunately be dealt with
> because we know that, today, all u=1 IIDs must also have g=0.

what new types of universal-scope addresses?

Regards,
 Roland