Hi Fernando,

I am thinking of the case of links (e.g., tunnels) in the middle
of the network that must perform link adaptation in order to meet
the 1280 byte minimum IPv6 MTU. For example, if a tunnel is
configured over a link that has an MTU less than (1280+HLEN), the
tunnel ingress will see an MTU smaller than 1280. In that case,
RFC2473 says that the tunnel ingress should perform fragmentation
on the encapsulated packet and the tunnel egress gets to do the
reassembly. But, that can amount to a lot of extra work for the
tunnel egress.

To save the egress from this burden then, it would be great if
there were a way to get the source host to perform fragmentation
so that the destination gets to do the reassembly. In lieu of
that, it would be preferable for the tunnel ingress to perform
fragmentation on the inner packet before encapsulation provided
the inner packet includes an IPv6 fragment header.

I talk about this in my draft on "IPv6 Path MTU Updates":

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-06.txt

This document talks about taking care of packets that are in
the "red zone" size between 1280 and 1500 bytes when there
is a link in the path (e.g., a tunnel) that must perform
link adaptation to meet the minimum size. And, it seeks to
update RFC2460 by allowing the middlebox to signal the host,
and to perform fragmentation on the inner packet when the
packet includes an IPv6 fragment header. It would be good
to get your feedback on this document.

> > If so,
> > then shouldn't the draft say something about the permissible
> > behavior of middleboxes when forwarding an "atomic" fragment
> > (e.g., "a middlebox is permitted to perform fragmentation on
> > an "atomic" fragment before forwarding to the next hop")?
>
> Why should there be a difference between fragmenting an atomic fragment
> and e.g. re-fragmenting a non-atomic fragment?

Based on the above draft, a host that is clued into the link
adaptation requirements will produce non-atomic fragments that
are sufficiently small so that they will not trigger the link
adaptation. A host that is not clued into the requirements will
send atomic fragments, which the middlebox should be permitted
to split into multiple fragments.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com