On 12/20/2012 03:04 PM, Templin, Fred L wrote:
>> On 12/18/2012 04:13 PM, Templin, Fred L wrote:
>>> I have a question about this document. Is a middlebox permitted
>>> to fragment an "atomic" fragment before forwarding the packet
>>> on to the next hop? If not, why not - after all, that's why the
>>> host inserted the fragment header in the first place.
>>
>> My take is that an *IPv6* middle-box is not permitted to fragment the
>> packet. The IPv6/IPv4 translator is, from an IPv6 point of view, a
>> host/end-point/end-system (that's where the v6 world ends for that
>> packet).
>
> On further thought, I don't fully accept the notion that the
> translator is a host/end-point/end-system.

>From the pov of the IPv6 network that's where the packet "ends".

> The IPv6 host provides
> the translator with an Identification value, and that value carries
> forward into the IPv4 world. So, while the IPv6 packet itself does
> not carry forward, IPv6 information does.

Yes and no -- e.g., you cannot use the full 32-bit Frag ID.

>> As to the "why not", I'd guess the reason is "only IPv6 hosts fragment
>> packets"
>
> I think there would need to be an asterisk next to that statement
> saying that IPv6/IPv4 translators are exempt from this requirement.
> And, if the translator can be exempt then so also should an IPv6
> middlebox that connects to a link that would otherwise be obliged
> to perform burdensome link adaptation.

This does not only apply to tunnels. One could think of some radio
devices, embedded systems, etc., for which an adaptation layer would
possible be overkill. -- So you're idea sounds, at least in principle,
sensible to me.

I will review your I-D and will come back with some feedback.

Thanks!

Best regards,
--
Fernando Gont