2013-02-02  12:46, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> :
>> IMHO The only combination that has operational value for the purpose of
>> mapping IPv6 address to MAC today is:
>> u==1 && g==0 && (concatenated with unicast IPv6/64 prefix[2000::/3] ||
>> link local address [fe80::/10]) && SLAAC (RFC4862)
>>
>> We've never had this sort of reverse mapping in IPv4, and "sh arp" on
>> the local router was generally considered good enough operationally
>> speaking.
>> I 'd presume "show ipv6 neighbor binding" would also suffice.
>
> Maybe, but every little helps.

I support that IIDs that have u=1 MAY be used to extract some meaningful
information, doing it or not remaining a vendor choice.

Pending any new IID reservations, what is possible is AFAIK the following:
- At an Ethernet interface, if an assigned IID has  u=1, u=0, bits 24-39 =
0xFE, and OUI bits 0-24 aren't 00-00-5E  (the IANA OUI, ref
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5342#section-1.2.1), then the MAC address should
be that of IID bits 0-23 followed by  bits 40-127.

If the 4rd reserved IID prefix is confirmed to be 0x0300, this is complemented
with the following:
- At a customer site entry that is assigned an IPv6 prefix up to /64, if an
destination IID starts with 0x0300, then IID bits 16-47 should be those of a
global IPv4 address usable in this site, exclusively or shared depending on
which 4rd CE mapping rule applies to the site. In addition, IID bits 48-64
should be the opposite of the one's complement sum of the five 16-bit fields
from address bits 0-79.

Regards,
RD