Hi, Usman,

Thank you for this opportunity to clarify once more an important point.

2013-02-09 03:16, Usman Latif <osma...@yahoo.com> :

> Hi Remi,
>
> A few months ago, I raised some concerns around RFC 6164 which permitted use
> of /127 prefixes on inter-router p2p links.
> You mention use of u/g bits and reserved IID range for 4rd

> Don't you think that network operators who have by now implemented 6164 based
> addressing in their networks would end up having to readdress portions of
> their network where they intend to implement 4rd?

The reason why no readdressing will be needed is tat RFC 6144 only concerns
inter-router links. Their /127 IPv6 prefixes are distinct from those used with
64-bit IIDs.

Incidentally, I wrote myself:
- "it is a fact that, *for some addresses that aren't concerned with SLAAC*,
typically some manually configured addresses, the IID structure of RFC 4291 can
be ignored. One example where it is actually ignored is in RFC 6164  which
deals with /127 prefixes on inter-router links. (Incidentally, I have been an
active supporter of this RFC, as Miya Kohno may remember" (ref.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg16988)
- "For addresses that aren't subject to SLAAC like, for instance, those of
inter-router links of RFC6164, the RFC4291 structure of /64 IIDs isn't
applicable. A clarification on this would IMHO be useful." (ref.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg17023).

Regards,
RD