>> However, there is nothing which enforces RFC4291-conforming IIDs for
>> (for instance) statically configured IPv6-addresses.
>> So in what way do
>> well defined u/g values for RFC4291-conforming IIDs help you?
>
> 1.
> Users that manually configure their IPv6 addresses should be
> knowledgeable about what they do.
>
> If one configures an address has u=g=1, unless it is for an
> experiment, it is a human mistake (it conflicts with the IPv6
> addressing architecture of RFC 4291). Depending on the context,
> this mistake will have no consequence or will eventually have
> to be corrected.

What's the operational failure mode?  Does it fail in a way which
would be obvious to the ones who has made this mistake, or will
simply some seemingly-random pairs of hosts fail to communicate?
I think it would be an engineering mistake to willfully create
hard-to-detect failure scenarios via a modification to already
fielded standards.

> Note that, even if one does such a mistake in a 4rd site, the
> likelihood of using the 4rd IID prefix 0x0300 remains low.

That's a nice handwave...

> 2.
> On my home network, I know nobody is doing manual configuration.

That doesn't really prove anything.

Regards,

- Håvard