Hi Simon,
At 04:33 24-04-2013, Simon Perreault wrote:
I'm sorry, I've read section 5 and that still doesn't make sense to me.

I share your opinion.

How does that work? Is there a NAT46 in between?

That question was never discussed within the working group. My guess is that there would have to be a transition mechanism in between for that to work.

As IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses do not go on the wire, this still doesn't make sense to me!

I should have explained it better; the IPv4-mapped IPv6 address does not go over the wire.

IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses have two uses:

1) They are used internally on a single host, between a userland app and the kernel, to represent IPv4 addresses using an IPv6-only socket. The address never leaves the host. It can be considered an implementation detail. They are most useful when porting an IPv4-only app to dual-stack. Newer applications should never use IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses, and it is good practice to disable them explicitly.

2) In various signalling protocols, to represent an IPv4 address in an IPv6 address field. This is protocol-specific. It is used only for signalling, never as actual addresses in IPv6 packet headers.

At this point, I'm guessing that it would be better to forget about IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses, although I still don't understand exactly what your intent is.

Thanks for the explanation. The intent was to ask the IPv6 Maintenance working group to review the text. I'll follow your guess as it makes sense to me. By the way you will be credited in the document shepherd write-up for your feedback.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy (as document shepherd)