On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 06:27:19 PM Simon Perreault wrote:
> Le 2013-04-24 18:09, Philipp Kern a écrit :
> > Simon,
> >
> > am Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:15:37PM +0200 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> >> I guess I just don't understand where those IPv4-mapped IPv6
> >> addresses that the SPF process needs to check are coming from. An
> >> example would be very helpful.
> >
> > on Linux, if you set bindv6only to 0 and set up a socket listening on
> > AF_INET6 you are able to receive IPv4 connections to that IPv6 socket. The
> > source IPs will be mapped into IPv4-mapped IPv6 space. This means that you
> > only need to setup one socket instead of one for v4 and one for v6.
>
> I know what an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address is.
>
> In that case, you should convert IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses to IPv4
> addresses before feeding them to the SPF checker. Just like with any
> other protocol.
>
> >> Yeah, this is bad. Variants arise in many situations. Usually it is
> >> solved by treating IPv6 addresses as opaque and not giving any
> >> special meaning to the IPv4-mapped prefix.
> >
> > As above that does not help. If your SPF process is operating in the
> > setup above, IPv4-mapped IPv6 space needs to be treated with the IPv4
> > ruleset.
>
> The SPF process should never see IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses since the
> underlying layer needs to convert them to IPv4 addresses. There is
> nothing specific to the SPF protocol here.

So from your perspective, we could remove that guidance and replace it with
something along the lines of:

Check_host() [that's our generic SPF validation function name we use in the
document] should never see IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses.  The underlying layer
needs to convert them to IPv4 addresses.

Is that about right?

Phil?

Scott K