Hi, Ray,

On 04/25/2013 11:21 AM, Ray Hunter wrote:
> Since both "Interface_Index" and "Interface name" are anyway both
> implementation dependent, why would you need to precisely standardise
> the exact meaning, or the exact source of the information? AFAICS this
> wouldn't significantly affect inter-op, or protocol operation.

Their implementation (e.g. namespace) are implementation-dependent.
Their properties may not.

I don't care about the source of information as long as it meets the
goal. Ideally, the I-D:

* Should be constant across system bootstrap sequences
* Should be different for each network interface
* Should not change when the NIC is replaced

The first to properties are needed for the "stability" properties of
this scheme. The last one is needed such that the IPv6 address doesn't
change when a NIC is replaced (I hear lots of people do not use SLAAC
because of this).

> I therefore agree with your proposal that the text should define an
> abstract "Interface_ID" and suggest that you define "an Interface_ID is
> an implementation-dependent identifier associated with a particular
> interface on the local node, which is generally invariant over the
> long-term and over system reboots. The Interface_ID may be used to
> assist efficient generation of unique stable-privacy-addresses,
> especially in situations where multiple interfaces on a single node may
> be configured using the same L3 Prefix. If the Interface_ID does change
> for whatever reason, this would obviously undermine the time-invariance
> of the resulting stable-privacy-addresses."
>
> I don't think you need any more guidance than that.

If you say just that, many will wonder "Ok, so what should I use for the
Interface_ID?". So I'd probably list the three properties I mentioned
above, and (non-normatively) note that the Interface Index or the
Interface name could be used for this purpose...

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks