Hi, Christian,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please find my comments in-line...

On 04/25/2013 10:41 AM, Christian Huitema wrote:
>> My take would be to replace "Interface Index" in the expression
>> with an abstract "Interface_ID", and then explain that
>> "Interfae_ID" can be either the Interface Index or the Interface
>> name, and include some of the text above (explaining why an
>> implementation might want to include one or the other -- i.e., if
>> your Interface Indexes are stable, use them. Else use the Interface
>> name).
>
> I suggest that you just leave the choice to developers, based on the
> tradeoffs necessary for their particular implementations.

Yep, that's what I meant above.

> I can see
> cases where I would just use the MAC address, and others where the
> proper tradeoff is to use nothing at all.

I believe that using the MAC address would break the useful property
that addresses do not depend on the underlying link-layer address (i.e.,
the IPv6 address does not change when the NIC is replaced). -- see my
response to Ray Hunter.

> Just explain what the possible objectives are:
>
> 1) Stable address until reboot, versus forever
>
> 2) Stable address as long as the same MAC is used, versus stable
> address even if cards are swapped
>
> 3) System design for multi homing, versus system design with just one
> network connection

We really need:

* Stable forever
* Stable even if cards are swapped
* Multi-homing is *not* a special case

In particular, I'd really want people to know what they get when they
use this.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont