Hi Fernando,

>________________________________
> From: Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com>
>To: Ray Hunter <v6...@globis.net>

I think listing those desired properties would be useful, and then describing
examples of actual interface identifiers that would qualify if available e.g.,
persistent ifindex values or persistent interface names.

One thing that has occurred to me is the interface identifier stability you're
looking for would probably be provided by deriving the interface ID from the
system connector that is used to attach the network interface to the system
e.g. the PCI slot information. A swap of a failed interface, despite changing
the MAC address, will retain the same interface ID.

This gets a bit interesting when thinking about the USB NIC situation. Plugging
the USB NIC into different USB slots would change the interface ID if the slot
is used to assign it a persistent interface ID. OTOH, the MAC address and other
properties of the USB NIC (such as USB serial number if it has one) would be
constant, so they could be used to create a persistent interface ID for your
purposes, despite the different USB slot used to attach it to the system.
Perhaps that means different buses and/or connectors would need different
policies on interface ID assignment, and that could be mentioned in your Draft.

As another example of a convention, it seems that Fedora has adopted a
convention of naming wired ethernet interfaces based on whether they're
attached to the motherboard (e.g, em0) or a PCI slot / port and then virtual
function if it has one (e.g. p4p1), so they're persistent across boots or
replacement. Yet they don't apply that to PCI attached wifi interfaces, which
are still called wlanX.

You might also want to briefly cover persistent interface IDs for virtual
interfaces e.g, bridge virtual interfaces. Their only constant identifier may
be their name - under Linux for example, they seem to use the lowest numeric
MAC address of the member interfaces, which can change if a new interface is
added or the lowest MAC address interface is removed.

<snip>

Regards,
Mark.