Hi, James,

On 05/20/2013 02:33 PM, james woodyatt wrote:

>> Other than the fix you suggested ("it MUST be different for each
>> network interface simultaneously in use."), is there anything to be
>> fixe in, say, Appendix A?
>
> I don't see why Appendix A needs to comprise an exhaustive list of
> all possibilities, but it might be improved by the addition of
> something like this:
>
> A.4. Logical Network Service Identity
>
> Host operating systems with a conception of logical network service
> identity, distinct from network interface identity or index, may keep
> a UUID or similar number with the stability properties appropriate
> for use as the Net_Iface parameter.

Thanks for the text! I'll incorporate it in th next rev.

Question: Is there any reference I could provide about "logical network
service identity"? (even a manpage would be okay...) -- I'd use it as:

"Host operating systems with a conception of logical network service
identity (see e.g. [REFERENCE])..."

Additionally, I'd like to better understand the stability properties of
UUIDs (and add some text about it right after the text that you have
suggested). My assumption is that one would have UUIDs for network
interfaces that would, at least, be constant across system bootstrap
sequences? (that would be something not yet present in OS X now, but
that could be added as part of the implementation of this specification?)

P.S.: Thanks for educating me about the OS X internals!

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna...@gont.com.ar || fg...@si6networks.com