On Jun 1, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Owen DeLong <o...@delong.com> wrote:
>> The second one sounds like it gets pretty dysfunctional if you have
>> downstream routers with downstream routers.
>
> There's no such thing, unless you think home nets are transit nets.   If you
> mean what if the network is multihomed, and the edge routers for the two
> providers are topologically separated, that's no problem at all, because the
> prefix distribution trees  are independent.   I explained this in a message
> to the homenet mailing list a while back—nobody's written it up in a draft
> because the homenet guys are more keen on ZOSPF, for which I'm pretty sure
> there's a draft either with Jari's or Ole's name on it.

Uh…

{ISP Connection} -> Router -> multiple segments each of which contains one or
more routers, some of which have multiple segments which contain additional
routers.

All of the routers below the second tier are downstream from the routers at the
second tier which are downstream from the first tier router.

You may not see this very much in homes today, but there is no reason
whatsoever to believe that it will not be commonplace in the future.

Owen