On May 30, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> wrote:

> On May 30, 2013, at 12:08 PM, Owen DeLong <o...@delong.com> wrote:
>> Not a great assumption... They should need 4 million or more /48s since
>> every subscriber is at least one end site and every subscriber end site
>> should receive a /48.
>
> I am not in love with using bits from prefixes as semantic tags.   However,
> having said that, I think it's a bit ironic that you're talking about wasting
> space with semantic bits, on the one hand, and talking about the need for a
> /48 in every home on the  other.   It would be perfectly reasonable for the
> ISP to specify that some of the bits in the /48 have semantic meaning, for
> example, and given that we think it's okay to give the home network a /48, we
> are hardly in a position to quibble about how the bits in that /48 are used.

The /48 is in order to allow 16 bits of space for automating the deployment of
hierarchy and routing within the end-site.

I wasn't specific about the nature of the end-site (home or otherwise, as I
believe all end sites should be treated the same).

Taking away from those bits for ISP semantics (or some antics, depending on
your perspective) is an entirely different can of worms.

Owen