You're looking at the internet of today.

Think about 10, 15, 20 years out when everything you buy at the grocery store
has an IP address and most audio amplifiers act as routers to head-end the
other entertainment devices in the cluster.

Think about a time when HDMI is supplanted by multi-gigabit wireless
connectivity.

Who knows what the future will hold or what technologies may be developed to
take advantage of these new capabilities of end-to-end addressing.

I'd hate to see them stifled because we got stingy with address space.

How is an address less wasted by sitting in the free pool long beyond the
useful life of the protocol than it is by being deployed to allow for
flexibility in network design?

Owen