Hi,

I see some issues when using non-topological address hierarchies:

1. For example, if you use addresses
   <ISP><location><user class><user#><subnet>
then you can have one route entry to route all traffic to a location, i.e.
    <ISP><location>
But, it is harder to send traffic of one <user class> over different links
than other classes --
you can't have 1 route table entry for:
   <ISP><*><user class1> --> <ISP><*><user class1>
You need L routes if you have L locations.

[ Does your router support non-contiguous masks in ACLs, route-maps etc ??
   See e.g. Cisco IOS IPv6 Command Reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/command/reference/ipv6_10.html#wp2653677
   IPv6 ACLs only allow e.g.  *source-ipv6-prefix*/*prefix-length*   which
only specifies a left-most contiguous set of bits.
   It doesn't allow for non-contiguous wildcard-masks like IPv4 did.
]

2. Conversely, if you use addresses
  <ISP><user class><location><user#><subnet>
then it is easier to route via <user class> and <user class> ACLs are very
easy.
But you aren't aggregating by location any more.

3. Or, if you use addresses
   <ISP><location><user#><user class><subnet>
then you get route aggregation per location, and aggregation per user.
But you have lost all route aggregation by <user class>
and if you can't do non-contiguous ACLs, then filtering by <user class>
will be very hard.

===
And if you have more semantic fields, then the routing and ACL complexity
compounds.

===
At Monash University, the IPv6 address plan is basically
We aren't summarising routes in our IGP, so not being able to summarise by
location isn't a big issue for us.

    John