Hi,

On 31.05.2013 11:46, Ray Hunter wrote:

> But why are people coming up with these schemes for encoding semantics
> in the address prefixes in the first place? That's what I'd like to
> understand first and foremost: what lack of functionality is
> motivating/forcing these people to adopt such schemes?

I'm not sure. Some impressions from the draft I got when I browsed
over it:
- An address is something that the provider controls, therefore
  it may have more trust in the address information, esp. if
  source address filtering is done properly. The draft seems
  to promote the idea in favor of others like DSCP marking
  (which is untrusted up to the boundary node anyway).

- Overloading semantics is IMHO a bad thing as it complicates
  things as well, e.g., encoding application-level semantics into the
  network layer is generally a bad idea (see end-to-end
  argument - putting appl.-level knowledge into the network implies
  inflexibility and increased complexity). Moreover, choosing the right
  address/network prefix must not require network topology knowledge
  in the application (remembering the site-locals discussion several
  years ago).

- one useful scenario, however, may be the use of different security
  zones. We actually proposed this in an internal network
  of a vehicle - the particular advantage is here that you can easily
  perform security policy enforcement with firewalls and address
  filtering rules.
  However, you also may have a topological/logical subnet structure
  in addition to the security zones, leading to a subnet matrix
  structure. In addition to that you may have different QoS
  requirements for traffic within a subnet, so DSCP marking is also
  orthogonal to the "address" semantics - you should not encode them
  into the prefix as well.

- dividing a network into different subnets according to different
  semantics is nothing unusual and is widely used today, mostly
  motivated by either topological aspects, logical user/device groups,
  and/or trust/security domains. However, semantics b., d. and e.
  of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix-03#section-4.3
(applications, traffic identity types, quality requirements)
  seem to be bad reasons for "encoding" them into prefixes, IMHO.

Thus, if the document is adopted somehow, it should rather
point out the potential pitfalls. Currently, as other already said,
it reads as it would be a preferred operational method...

Regards,
 Roland