> Martin Millnert <mailto:mar...@millnert.se>
> 31 May 2013 11:14
> Hi,
>
> On 31 maj 2013, at 09:37, Sheng Jiang <jiangsh...@huawei.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Extra headers is a no-go for efficient FIB-lookup and thus a waste of
> time in many aspects to standardize.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I was suggesting looking at using a tag option within an existing header
(the hop by hop header), which theoretically is already processed by all
nodes along the path. So new options rather than a new header.

Whether we encode these additional semantics via an address match, or a
DSCP match, or a hop by hop approach, I agree the tag has to be found
and parsed and processed, so it would seem sensible to me to avoid
unnecessarily overloading existing semantics and instead to encode it in
the position in the packet where you'd expect to find something meant
for hop by hop processing i.e. the hop by hop header.

If operators don't want to process the hop by hop header in the network
core for whatever reason, draft-carpenter-6man-ext-transmit already
proposes allowing skipping it. The alternatives: tagging in the address
structure, creating tunnels, and tagging by encapsulation e.g. MPLS,
also have significant pros and cons for both parsing and forwarding.

But why are people coming up with these schemes for encoding semantics
in the address prefixes in the first place? That's what I'd like to
understand first and foremost: what lack of functionality is
motivating/forcing these people to adopt such schemes?

regards,
RayH