Hi, Ole,

On 06/12/2013 11:53 PM, Ole Troan wrote:
>> IIRC, someone reported that Cisco ASA drop v6 packets with extension
>> headers by default.....
>
> I think you'll find that the Cisco ASA isn't marketed as a router either, it
> is a firewall.

Agreed.

>>> just to be clear I'm not against the IETF documenting e.g. in a BCP, what
>>> the longest expected header chain should be.
>>
>> Well, that seems more std track than bcp to me.
>
> I don't think we should encode in standard a number that is based on the
> ability of current hardware.
> nor do I think we have any standard documents describing the behaviour of
> filtering routers / firewalls / middleboxes in this respect.

Does it make any sense to tell people that they can send packets when we
really know that there's no way they are going to get to their intended
destination?

Some random folks, for some reason, starts sending those packets. He's
packets miserably die in the network. He comes to us, and we all say "oh
yeah... they are being dropped.. we know that". And the folk asks us
"why didn't you say so?".

When standards diverge so much from reality, that's no good, IMHO.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks