On 6/12/2013 3:19 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
On 06/13/2013 12:07 AM, Joe Touch wrote:

On 6/12/2013 2:44 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
just to be clear I'm not against the IETF documenting e.g. in a BCP,
what the longest expected header chain should be.

Well, that seems more std track than bcp to me.

If it's an operational recommendation (SHOULD because that's all that
routers are expected to support), then it would be BCP.

If you want to prohibit hosts from generating longer chains, that would
be std track.

I want to recommend hosts not to send such packets. Hence it looks like
std track.

Telling them they SHOULD NOT is BCP. It's a configuration, and it's compliant with the existing standard AFAICT, so since it's not a change per se it wouldn't be a STD.

Joe