The best references that I can find are in user documentation. However, I
thought that it would be inappropriate to reference user documentation in an
IETF document.

AFAIKS, the Microsoft, Apple, Linux and FreeBSD TCP implementations all
leverage PMTUD. However, I am not an expert on any of those platforms and
invite people who are to comment.

> 2) " As a result, IPv6 fragments carrying TCP payload are
>    rarely observed on the Internet."

I don't know of a study. However, this is probably a safe assumption
considering that:

- many TCP implementation leverage PMTUD
- many enterprise block fragments
- many firewalls, by default, block IPv6 fragments

                                 Ron