In message <2CF4CB03E2AA464BA0982EC92A02CE2509F878B0@BY2PRD0512MB653.namprd05.p
rod.outlook.com>, Ronald Bonica writes:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for this good empirical data!
>
> I would like to verify your assertion that most of the IPv6 fragment carry
> UDP. Do you have any way to be sure?

I've looked at packet traces in the past and the fragmented traffic
is UDP.  The box is running a validating recursive nameserver which
advertises a 4096 byte EDNS UDP buffer.  It draws in fragmented
traffic.  I can tell when there are out of order IPv4 fragments as
the NAT in front of it doesn't handle the case where the first
fragment received is not the initial fragment.

Whether you see fragmented traffic is very dependent upon what you
are doing, how things are configured and what the application layer
has learnt about the network characteristics.

There is a lot of potential fragmented traffic out there.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org