On Fri, 28 Jun 2013, Fernando Gont wrote:
Fernando> I wanted to comment on some met-issues regarding the deprecation of
the
Fernando> IPv6 fragmentation function.
Fernando>
Fernando> ** On the motivation of deprecating the fragmentation function **
Fernando>
Fernando> So far (and without having read Ron's recent I-D -- shame on me), it
Fernando> looks like the main two reasons for deprecating the fragmentation
Fernando> function are:
Fernando>
Fernando> 1) The inability of middle-boxes to parse past the first XXX bytes of
Fernando> packet
Fernando>
Fernando> 2) Unavailability of the connection-id (five-tuple) in the non-first
Fernando> fragments.

I disagree -- I think Mark Andrews got it (mostly) right in his message of Wed,
26 Jun 2013:

Mark> One needs to get the L4 information the firewall/loadbalancer uses in
*each* fragment.

The flow label, if properly set at or near the source, could plausibly address
"2)" -- see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-flow-label-balancing/?include_text=1

However, it won't help middle boxes that implement stateless packet filters.
Indeed, such
boxes have fundamental problems with non-first fragments irrespective of how
many bytes of
extension headers they can parse or whether there are sufficient length limits
on the extension
header chain that guarantee that the L4 header always appears in the first
fragment.

As I see it, the biggest meta-issue in this discussionis for the IPv6 WG is to
decide out whether
middle boxes that implement stateless packet filters with a "default-deny"
policy will be a
significant part of the landscape indefinitely, regardless of what the IETF
says about their
merits or lack thereof.  If so, fragmented IP datagrams will continue be
problematic in the general
case; and since the job of this (or any other) IETF WG is to make the internet
work better, it will
be incumbent on the WG to deal with the issue.  Ron Bonica and co-authors have
made one proposal to
do just that.

Thinking aloud ...

If we decide that the only path forward is to deprecate IPv6 fragmentation and
reassambly (presumably
not IPv4, since it's at end of life), the next question I see is what can or
should be done to allow
UDP and kin to send large datagrams.  A UDP replacement with fragmentation and
reassembly built in to
the transport layer is one possibility.  The questions that come to mind are
(a) is this capability
actually needed, and if so, (b) can it be incrementally deployed, in the face
of middle boxes with
"default deny" policies causing them to discard protocols that they don't know?

//cmh