(BCC: 6man mailing list, which is where this document is intended to become a
work item)

On Jul 11, 2013, at 10:14 PM 7/11/13, Michael Richardson
<mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

>> The most recent rev of draft-droms-6man-multicast-scopes defines scope
>> 0x03 as:
>
>> 3  Network-Specific scope, greater than Link-Local scope, defined
>> automatically from the network topology
>
>> To be confirmed: will this definition suffice for MPL?
>
> I think it is sufficient, because we understand what it means.
> I am concerned about the word "Network"... which could mean anything to
> anyone.
>
> I'd think that the right word would be "subnet", because the intent is that
> it is for the entire /64 or whatever it is that one is using.  I think that
> is the term that is used in RFC4291.

"subnet" implies that this multicast scope must derive from the address
assignment topology.  The first (and only) use case is derived from the /64
prefix; do we want to have that limitation for all uses of scope 0x03?

- Ralph