I think it’s difficult for those of us who are a certain age (I’m 54) to
understand that young people don’t learn about new music the same way that we
did. Their main exposure to new artists now is via social media. A friend
discovers the artist by seeing them live, catching them on YouTube, a free
preview on I-Tunes, or a hundred other ways—then they share them with their
friends on social media.

I’m a TV Commercial Director by profession. Years ago, if you wanted original
music, especially a real song with lyrics, etc. to be used in your commercial,
it was expensive. But now, I can find a real song from a largely unknown artist
or band, and license it quickly and easily for this use. Why would an artist
want to do this? Exposure. Kids see it (often on YouTube, Instagram, etc) and
then do a quick search to find out who the artist is. Next thing you know, the
song is being downloaded like crazy.

Radio is no longer the gatekeeper medium for introducing new musical artists.

If it’s going to survive, it must embrace content that caters to it’s
strengths. For the time being, that is likely to be more talk, more live
programming, and a LOT more locally produced content. Especially on AM.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.