I suspect you're thinking of me.  I maintain a fork that was originally
from "paulo 144", and was (mostly) ported to 2.0.4 relatively recently.

It's really not for Public Consumption.  Lots of Cardiff-specific cruft
in there, along with a couple patches/features that were rejected from
the trunk because they caused problems when you use iText in a way other
than the way I do.

Yes, we run the unit tests, but those tests (clearly) aren't all that
comprehensive.  That's what the users are for!  :/

Autonomy (of which Cardiff is a part) has a "we don't pay for 3rd party
licenses" thing going on.  With that "policy" in place, we can never use
the post-AGPL version. Or can we?  Should it come to it, I suspect we
might be able to trade some developer hours (mine) for a license, but it
has not come to that, so we haven't explored it with iTextSoftware
(yet).

--Mark Storer
  Senior Software Engineer
  Cardiff.com