----- Original Message -----
From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] build structure jakarta-commons

> Vincent Massol wrote:

TOMCAT-DEV
> > > and GENERAL knows that I'm not a fan of checking JAR files in to the
> > > repositories.  Having a common build/lib directory, as Geir suggests
> > > below, is better than having ant.jar checked into every single Commons
> > > package, but IMHO it will lead to conflicts over versions of the
shared
> > > JARs (I need Ant 1.3, someone else needs Ant 1.2, and so on).
> > >
> > > [SNIP]
> > >
> > +1 on all that as this is also my belief and what I have also done in
> > Cactus.
>
> How many other jars do I have to go get to use it?  I assume you managed
> to keep things limited to one version of Ant, so that's one.  Then, I
> assume that I have to go find JUnit.  That's two.  What else?

The full list of dependent jars is:
- junit
- stylebook and thus xerces and xalan
- servlet.jar for Servlet API 2.2 and/or servlet.jar for Servlet API 2.3

In order to make it easy for newcomers I provide a cactus-dependencies.zip
file containing the copy of these jar that I use on my computer. These are
built using a 'dependencies' target. On my machine, I have the CVS trees for
all these dependencies and from time to time I do an update and rebuild. My
build.properties points to these other projects dist directory. And GUMP
always use the latest version of these dependencies doing it's nightly runs,
which is the really cool part ... :)

Note: Some of these external jars are needed for Ant to run (such as
stylebook, junit). For these I copy them to $ANT_HOME/lib so that they are
added to the Ant classpath automatically. For the jars that are needed by
the code (not by Ant itself), I leave them in their dist directories and
point to them. Concerning Cactus, there is only one : servlet.jar

> geir

Vincent