On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Peter Donald wrote:

> At 02:15  23/4/01 -0700, Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> >
> >--- Charles Burdick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >=======================================================================
> >>
> >> April 22, 2001: Jakarta-commons Summary digest
> >> Summarizing list traffic from Apr 15 through Apr 21.
> >>

> >=======================================================================
> >> Topics general to Jakarta-commons:

> >>  [Configuration Mgmt]
> >>    - What is the best approach for CVS branches and
> >> releases?

> >We've been thinking about this at Taglibs, where we're
> >getting geared up to start versioning our releases.
> >Here are our preliminary guidelines for versioning;
> >perhaps they'll stimulate some discussion (outright
> >adoption is good too :):
> >

> >http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-taglibs/HOWTO
> -RELEASE?rev=1.4&content-type=text/plain
>
> +1 on a straight adoption (it's same approach we uses aswell).

+1 on stealing (err, adopting :-) the good work here.

> Cheers,
>
> Pete

One technical note that affects both Commons and Taglibs is the fact that
CVS branches are global to an entire repository.  Therefore, if one taglib
(or Commons package) creates a branch "rel2", then nobody else can use
that name.  We might want to think a little more about the long term
impacts of this little detail.

Craig