--- Steve Downey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

I don't know if it's practical to perform maintenance
on minor releases that have been supplanted by other
minor releases.  If you look at the definition of a
minor release, it is a release that contains new
features but maintains backward compatibility.
Therefore, it should be possible for users to simply
grab the latest bug fix for their major release
without having to change their code.

For example, if a bug is discovered that affects
releases 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4, then a bug fix 1.4.1
should suffice for all those users.  The alternative
is to release 1.2.1, 1.3.1 and 1.4.1 all
simultaneously.  Yuck.

> CACTUS_REL_11 should be
>
> CACTUS_REL_1_1 and CACTUS_REL_1_1_BRANCH
>
> Along the 1.1 branch you might also have
> CACTUS_REL_1_1_1, CACTUS_REL_1_1_2
> and so on. CACTUS_REL_1_1_0 == CACTUS_REL_1_1, the
> initial release of Cactus
> 1.1.
>
> Main development should always be on the trunk.
> XEmacs messed this up, and
> the developers have regretted it deeply since. With
> the recent release,
> they've done some massive repository surgery so that
> the main dev branch is
> back on the trunk.

=====
Morgan Delagrange